Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Meet Adah Mehitable Ridenour


June, 1861

For those of you who do not know me, I am the daughter of Thomas and Coleen Ridenour, born 4 April, 1843. I have but one brother, Timothy Edward, who is 1 year my senior. The Lord took my mother into His heavenly kingdom in December of '59, after a terrible struggle with consumption. However, it brings me some comfort to know that she is no longer suffering. She was a godly and virtuous woman, and devoted mother and wife. Although I have since put away my mourning clothes, my heart shall mourn for her until we meet again.

My father's family is from Winchester, Virginia. He came to Alexandria first to study at the Protestant Episcopal Theological Seminary, and later to teach there as one of her professors. it was in that city that he met my mother, and that Timothy and I were born. My father made the difficult decision to leave Alexandria, since she was quickly occupied by the enemy, but I am glad to be with my family once again in Winchester. I do feel so sorry for Timothy, who has had to abandon his study of law at Columbia College; but perhaps when all this is over, he may return there and become a lawyer, as is his dream. For now, Timothy wants nothing more than to fight the Yankees himself. As for me, I turn my attention these days to serving in whatever ways I can. When regiments arrive in Winchester, my friends and I rush out to bring the soldiers food and water, and to do some mending and washing for them.

Our lives have changed so very much in so very short a time. I hope that you may find our writings, that of myself and of my best beloved friend Margaret-Ellen, an interesting and compelling record of all that has happened.

God bless,
A.



1 comment:

  1. Me alegra mucho descubrir su blog y poder observar los magníficos vestidos que luce,como este de luto.Lamento la pérdida pero el tiempo todo lo calma ;)

    ReplyDelete