Pages

Monday, April 4, 2011

Adah Comments on the Infamous Election

[Compiler's Note: A letter dated November 6th, 1860, from Margaret-Ellen to Adah is not available to the compiler at this time.  In it, Miss Copeland comments on the recent election of Mr. Lincoln to the Presidency, her family's support of Mr. John Bell, and the shame of her brother Mason's decision to vote for Mr. Lincoln and his abolitionist principles]


Alexandria
15 November 1860

My dearest Margaret,

You must know I should never criticize your hand for anything in the world.  I always received the poorest marks in it while at the Columbia Athenaeum, no matter how long I practiced.  Regardless of the script, your words are as dear to me as ever, my sweet friend.

Since reading your letter, I have been steadfastly praying for your family.  You must tell me, if you can, how it stands with your brother Mason.  It would seem that the division in sentiment within your family mirrors much of what people are feeling here in Alexandria since the election of Mr. Lincoln.  As we are but a stone's throw across the Potomac from the Capital, we of course hear and feel much of what is occurring in the political sphere.  And yet this is a subject which goes beyond politics and touches everyone in their heart of hearts.

Timothy, as you can imagine, has been extremely sore since the news.  He was a great supporter of Mr. Bell, and did indeed take me with him when Mr. Bell spoke here during his campaign.  I have never had a head for politics, but my heart does fear for what Mr. Lincoln's election will mean for the South.  Father does not speak of anything around me, and does not tolerate Timothy's rants; he has always been such a peaceful man, you know.  But I am certain he feels the same disappointment that I do, perhaps even more so.  There are times when I fear for our safety in the city, since so many have been angered by Mr. Lincoln's election.  Suppose an angry mob were to rise up and march through the streets!  You must forgive my outrageous imagination, but it does not seem so outrageous when you hear the talk of some people.  And even you have mentioned the feeling of trepidation, of "blood and judgement."

As we journey ever deeper into the chill of autumn, I long for those warm, carefree days of summer in which we passed our childhood so sweetly.  I am thinking of you now as I begin a new dress.  How I miss sewing with you on the porch at your Aunt Nadia's!  It is to be a lavender frock, the only color I am allowed still.  I can hardly believe it has been almost a whole year since Mama passed away.  Once December is come and gone, I am to begin to wear my old gowns again.  But to be completely candid with you, I am still grieving terribly for Mama, and I do not think I am prepared to don regular clothing yet.  My social schedule is still half of what it once was.  I just cannot bear to feign happiness when I am so burdened with grief.

But my dear Margaret, I should not wish to burden you with such sad tidings.  Please write to me as soon as you are able, and let me know how you and your father and Fairchild and especially Mason are getting on.  And should you have had any chance to go to Winchester, please send us some news of the town and our Aunt Anne, as we have not heard from her in some time.

I pray that you are well, and that you do find some quiet, peaceful time to yourself amid all your work!  May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Yours ever,

              Adah

No comments:

Post a Comment