Pages

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Adah on Death, Love, and Secession


Alexandria
21 December 1860

My dearest Margaret,

I pray that this letter reaches you quickly and finds your family in good health.  What a shock we have had yesterday.  It has taken me all of these twenty-four hours since to gather my thoughts enough to sensibly put pen to paper.  Three days after the South Carolina Secessionist Convention is called to order, they have approved the Ordinance  of Secession.  O Margaret, I tremble at the thought of what this may mean for us in Virginia.  You must not think me unpatriotic, for I love Virginia with all my heart; but as my heart already grieves for the loss of my mother, I do not know how I could bear it should it come to bloodshed.  Timothy is all talk of secession for Virginia, and it frightens me how eager he is to take up arms for her.  But, of course, it still must be seen what the government in Washington will do in the face of South Carolina's secession.  President Buchanan has already admitted that the federal government can not prevent the states from seceding.

There is still some hope that Mr. Crittenden's compromise will be the solution.  We can only wait and pray.  I had so hoped to keep out of politics, to retain some facade of the peace and happiness we once knew.  Even my father, who had tried so desperately to make our home a haven from worldly concerns, cannot help but speak on the subject now.  He reminds me to trust in our Heavenly Father, and pray for wisdom for those in power.

Your letter, and the news contained therein, has provided me with such joy in the midst of all this uncertainty.  I offer my heartiest congratulations to Fairchild and Miss Wilcox.  It seems like just yesterday that Fairchild was tormenting us while we played down by the river, stealing our shoes and stockings so that we had to walk all the way back to your Aunt Nadia's unshod!  But he has grown up so much since then, and I am sure is ever the gentleman to Miss Wilcox.

I so long to be with you for Christmas, and to attend the Ball, even if only to see you in your new gown as I am not up to dancing quite yet.  I am afraid that we will not be able to come to Winchester until the new year, as father has been asked to give the sermon at the Christmas Eve service, so we must stay in Alexandria for the holidays.  I pray that when we may finally be together again, there shall be naught but happiness and good tidings.

Your news about Fairchild's endeavors at matchmaking made me laugh right out loud, so that Timothy raced downstairs to the drawing room to see what was the matter.  He hounded me for hours on the subject, and even chased me about the room in an attempt to snatch your letter from my hand!  But fear not, my dear friend, for I kept the letter safely from his prying eyes.  You know how much Timothy would have teased you if he knew!  As for me, I dare Fairchild - or any one - to show me a man worthy of your hand.  Your wool yarn is the finest in Frederick County, and I have yet to taste an apple tart better than yours.

My dear Margaret, since I never had a sister, I have always been of the opinion that God saw fit to bring us together, and I see you very much as my own sister.  It is for this reason that I now confide in you my feelings.  For some weeks now, a former student of my father has been staying with us.  His name is Mr. Michael McCarty and he is from Arlington.  He hopes some day to teach at the seminary, but for now is a pastor for a small congregation which he loves dearly.  I have never seen a man whose heart was so on fire for Christ, except my father.  O Margaret, I must confess that even as my heart grieves for my mother, it cannot help but be drawn to Mr. McCarty's humble and caring nature.  I know now what the Lord has planned for us, but at the very least, I pray that our friendship may continue to grow.  He will be returning soon to Arlington, as a shepherd cannot be too long from his flock, but he assures me that he shall visit soon and often.  Mr. McCarty has been an incredible blessing to our household, offering prayer and consolation, and bringing many a smile to my father's face.  May God bless him!

I thank you kindly for your sweet words on the subject of my mourning for my mother, and I have taken them to heart.  It does give me great comfort to think of both our dear mothers in heaven rejoicing with their King, and knowing that one day our souls will soar with them again, praising His glorious name!

I have included one of the new calling cards that I have made up, in anticipation for when I may feel comfortable enough to pay calls again.

My dear Margaret, you do sound so awfully busy out there on The Hill.  I wish that I could join you and ease your burden of work.  I constantly marvel at all your great talents, and your humbleness of spirit which allows you to go about your duties with such cheer and determination.  "Give her the fruit of her hands; and let her own works praise her in the gates!"  My own work basket sits near my feet now, awaiting to be taken up.  At the beginning of the month, I put my mind to making scrap quilts for the poor.  I am nearly done with my tenth quilt - they are easy and quick work when one is merely piecing blocks.  On Christmas day, my father and Timothy shall drive me out to deliver the quilts in person.  Few things give me more pleasure, and I am so glad to hear of your own charitable works.

There is little that gives me as much happiness as when I read your letters, my dear friend!  I look forward with great anticipation to your reply.  Until then, may God keep you and bless you, and give your family a most joyous Christmas.

Yours always,

            Adah

No comments:

Post a Comment